Sr Mgr - Safety Assurance-ASAP
United Airlines, Chicago, IL
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
There’s never been a more exciting time to join United Airlines. We’re on a path towards becoming the best airline in the history of aviation. Our shared purpose – Connecting People, Uniting the World – is about more than getting people from one place to another. It also means that as a global company that operates in hundreds of locations around the world with millions of customers and tens of thousands of employees, we have a unique responsibility to uplift and provide opportunities in the places where we work, live and fly, and we can only do that with a truly diverse and inclusive workforce. And we’re growing – in the years ahead, we’ll hire tens of thousands of people across every area of the airline. Our careers include a competitive benefits package aimed at keeping you happy, healthy and well-traveled. From employee-run "Business Resource Group" communities to world-class benefits like parental leave, 401k and privileges like space available travel, United is truly a one-of-a-kind place to work. Are you ready to travel the world?
As an airline, safety is our most important principle. And our Corporate Safety team is responsible for making sure safety is top of mind in every action we take. From conducting flight safety investigations and educating pilots on potential safety threats to implementing medical programs and helping prevent employee injuries, our team is instrumental in running a safe and successful airline for our customers and employees.
The Senior Manager of Aviation Safety Action Programs (ASAP) & Safety Assurance leads a team responsible for all safety reporting programs. Each program exists to ensure a Just Culture, achieve compliance with FAA regulation and aligns with FAA advisory circular 120-66C. This leader is also responsible for security and operational reporting, including those programs intended to serve employees not covered by union representation. The Sr Manager will establish and implement continuous improvement processes to support the collection of safety performance data and enhance overall awareness of risk and hazards at the airline.
- Manages safety data software systems and collaborates with Digital Technology to support data collection, visualization, and distribution from all employees, data analysis to identify safety issues, trending of safety information, and assessment of localized and systemic risk across the airline. Ensures safety reporting data is provided to the various SMS meetings to support data-driven hazard identification and risk management functions.
- Identifies and tracks non-compliance and non-conformance discrepancies related to United’s operations and recommends corrective actions to Division and Company leadership. Leads a team of program managers who process reports and debrief company employees to uncover significant safety risks.
- Engages in cross-divisional collaboration with leaders from Corporate Safety, operating divisions, unions, government agencies, vendors, and industry to identify and resolve trending and systemic safety issues. Evaluates events affecting safety and provides insight to senior management on continuous improvement opportunities.
- Attends industry meetings and maintains liaison with FAA regarding the tracking and follow-up of operational issues surfaced through the reporting systems.
- Responsible for delivering weekly, monthly, and ad hoc reporting to include: Program specific safety trends, systemic observations, cross-divisional program data analysis, and tracking of number of open, closed, pending Action Item responses, response time, timeliness of correction action, and overall standardization and efficiency of program management.
United values diverse experiences, perspectives, and we encourage everyone who meets the minimum qualifications to apply. While having the “desired” qualifications make for a stronger candidate, we encourage applicants who may not feel they check ALL of those boxes! We are always looking for individuals who will bring something new to the table!
What’s needed to succeed (Minimum Qualifications):
- Bachelor's degree or 4 years of relevant work experience (Aviation Management, Safety Management, Human Factors, Business Management or other)
- 5+ years of experience implementing safety or system-wide improvements in a large organization with a proven track record
- Must be able to operate independently and as part of a team, making effective leadership decisions in time critical environments
- Must possess time management skills to complete work accurately and on schedule
- Must possess the ability to create and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of divisional, union, and government counterparts
- Must possess solid understanding of Microsoft Office applications
- Highly proficient in development and delivery of all forms of verbal, written, and visual presentation communications
- Ability to develop, lead, and influence cross-functional teams
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States for any employer without sponsorship
- Successful completion of interview required to meet job qualification
- Reliable, punctual attendance is a crucial function of the position
What will help you propel from the pack (Preferred Qualifications):
- Master's degree
- Project management experience desirable, including systems integration, budgets and resource management
- Prefer 5 years management experience with prior managerial experience desirable in the airline or transportation field
- Experience in one of the operational fields covered by an ASAP to include, Flight Operations, Tech Ops/Maintenance, Inflight, Network Operations/Dispatch, and Airport Operations
- HFACS Certification
- ASAP Certification
- Safety Management System (SMS) Certification
- Data analytics and visualization tools such as Palantir Foundry, Tibco Spotfire, Microsoft Power BI, etc.
- SQL, Python, PySpark
United Airlines is an equal opportunity employer. United Airlines recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical ability, age, veteran status and other protected status as required by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions. Please contact JobAccommodations@united.com to request accommodation.
Equal Opportunity Employer - Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT
Job number: WHQ00021983
Date posted : 2023-05-12
Employment type: Full-Time
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.