Sr. Project Architect
HMC Architects, Solana Beach, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
HMC Architects designs solutions that work, wow, and withstand. We partner with healthcare, education, and civic clients to design buildings that promote healing, inspire learning, and create vibrant communities. Whether its a hospital, elementary school, student union, or community center, our empowered teams are experts when it comes to delivering successful projects and creating meaningful spaces.
HMC is in search of an experienced Sr. Project Architect with Healthcare and Education project experience. This position will be located in our San Diego CA office.
Responsible for technical documentation and coordination of major project or projects through all phases of development. Oversees design development, production of working drawings, and construction documents on given projects, and where applicable, give direction to assigned staff. Resolves technical and code related issues.
Will establish and maintain budgets, schedules, and monitor adherence of terms of contract expectations. Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to oversee two to three project architects.
Education: A degree from an accredited university in architecture.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years experience in production and coordination of documents in all phases of architectural practice and in management of projects desired. OSHPD & DSA experience.
Communication and Collaboration
- Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
- Asks questions about assignments when unclear.
- Has working knowledge and understanding for use of HMC equipment and software.
- Ability to apprise supervisor and client for status of work.
- Establish productive working relationships and deal effectively and cooperatively with, team members, consultants, and government agencies.
- Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
- Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of project.
- Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided.
- Resolve issues related to team members and consultants.
- Resolve lost opportunity issues, including staffing cuts, review of contractual obligations, and scope of service.
- Be a technical resource to entire studio.
Supervision and Delegation
- Ability to professionally communicate both verbally and in writing to give assignments to office support staff, consultants and vendors.
- Ability to delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful
- Supervise multiple project architects for all phases of projects.
- Be source for monitoring employee performance on a daily basis and take appropriate action to report both positive and negative performance.
- Supervise and manage up to two to four employees.
- Ability to oversee technical work of projects and teams in studio.
- Ensure that the documents meet client standards and HMC protocols.
- Ability to correspond effectively with agencies, consultants and clients and write meeting minutes.
- Ability to write and edit specifications.
- Understands all aspects of technical documentation and participate in the evaluation of the people assigned; and accurately and fairly document their performance.
- Write and negotiate contracts, fees, and RFP's.
- Write articles for professional publications of architecture and construction industry.
- Write training material and studio technical training programs for staff development.
- Develop technical standards and details.
- Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients and consultants.
- May have primary role in marketing interviews and writing marketing proposals.
- Assist in resolving technical issues with client.
- Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
- Set goals, prioritize and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
- Meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluations.
- Has complete knowledge and follows HMC procedures, standards, and protocols.
- Review and assist staff in setting budgets, goals, and preparing work plans that clearly define their expectations and take appropriate action when they are met and when they are not met.
- Review and resolves any issues related to staff and consultants.
- Accountable for monitoring project budgets and schedules and reducing staff when the need arises.
- Monitor staffing models to projected workloads, to meet expected project timelines, and profitability projections.
- Monitor level of technical work in studio.
- Oversee QA reviews for studio.
- Ensure that technical staff support design and follow design intent on all projects.
- Ensure that project design supports firm's design goals.
- Responsible in collaboration with design team for quality of project design and documents. Through all phases of projects.
- Ensure that the projects have the appropriate design staff in collaboration with design team.
- Review documents to ensure quality, coordination and compliance with the requirements of deliverables and client standards in all phases.
- Assist in coordination with government agencies, utility companies and resolve plan check and approval issues with the agencies.
- Ensure that HMC and client standards and protocol are followed.
- Assist in guiding project team and consultants for appropriate materials and systems.
- Review documents for code compliance in all phases and issue code interpretations.
- Assist in reviewing cost estimates and conduct value analysis.
- Review and approve changes in collaboration with the project design team and client.
- Assist in supervision and resolution of issues in preparation of construction documents.
- Assist in resolution of plan check and approval issues with the agencies and client.
- Assist project team and consultants for selecting appropriate materials and systems.
- Provide training and mentoring for all technical people in studio.
- Ensure that materials and systems meet client standards and are within budget.
- Review cost estimates and conducts value analysis.
- Assist in resolution of issues during construction phase with team and client.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.