Mechanical Engineering Group Leader
ASML Holding, San Diego, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
Mechanical Engineering Group Leader
|Location||San Diego - CA, US|
|Entity||ASML US, LP|
|Team||Research & development|
|Job category||Mechanical engineering|
ASML US brings together the most creative minds in science and technology to develop lithography machines that are key to producing faster, cheaper, more energy-efficient microchips. We design, develop, integrate, market and service these advanced machines, which enable our customers - the world’s leading chipmakers - to reduce the size and increase the functionality of their microchips, which in turn leads to smaller, more powerful consumer electronics. Our headquarters are in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, and we have 18 office locations around the United States including main offices in Chandler Arizona, San Jose and San Diego California, Wilton Connecticut, and Hillsboro Oregon.
The ASML San Diego EUV D&E group is responsible for the development and engineering of complex vacuum, high pressure, variable temperature, inert gas flow systems and tooling to create new-to-industry EUV light sources. The complexity of the EUV source places exacting requirements on Mechanical Design of vacuum vessels, inert gas flow in vacuum, material compatibility with refractory metals and glass, cleanliness & particle containment, and high temperature and pressure piping and sealing, combining rapid development timelines with precision engineering and design with high reliability standards. Each sub-system requires unique and creative solutions drawing from precision mechanical design thorough BoM release.
This position requires access to controlled technology, as defined in the Export Administration Regulations (15 C.F.R. § 730, et seq.). Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to access such controlled technology prior to beginning work. Business demands may require ASML to proceed with applicants who are immediately eligible to access controlled technology.
The Sr. Manager of Mechanical
Engineering leads teams of cross-sector members to deliver on prototype and production
modules and contributes at a hands-on level in delivering a variety of
engineering tasks including designing, developing, testing, analyzing,
troubleshooting and integrating subassemblies and modules for both the product
and the associated tooling required in manufacturing and field service. Each day will be full of exciting challenges to tackle including but not limited to:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Direct and guide the activities of a mechanical systems and equipment/tooling design function for module or subsystem design from concept through manufacturing transfer and high-volume ramp.
- Assist in developing and enforce department engineering practices and design rules, consistent with corporate objectives.
- Creates and evaluates designs to meet requirements of specified applications.
- Develops resolutions to critical issues and broad design matters.
- Assumes engineering responsibility for component and subassembly test development, data acquisition, analysis, and reporting.
- Build and maintain a high skill level in mechanical engineering of ASML products.
- Generates module or system concepts to meet product requirements.
- Validates concepts through prototype builds in laboratory setting.
- Performs/Approves detailed design and component layout for new or improved subsystems.
- Performs/Approves tolerance analysis at system and subsystem level.
- Manages teams ranging in size from 5-10 in delivering to a gated project plan including key deliverables, timeline, budget, and proactive management of expectations.
- Guides day-day activities of team members and be able to divide complex tasks into individual activities.
- Generates/Approves prototype and pilot detailed design, including creation/review of relevant technical documentation including Engineering Changes (EC’s), drawings and Bills-Of-Materials (BoM), and procedures.
- Contributes significantly to DFMEA and PFMEAs.
- Supports development activities using the Product Development Process including concept reviews, design reviews, proto builds, pilot builds, verification testing, etc., with records and completion of all open action items.
- Responsible for the research and selection of new suppliers with potential for turn-key provision of key subsystems.Responsible for providing technical expertise in the core technology area of the potential suppliers to reveal best design path and performance and cost from future subsystem purchases.
- Interacts closely with development engineers, scientists, suppliers, customer service, manufacturing, safety, and QA to resolve quality issues.
- Leads team of design engineers, architects, analysts, and technicians guiding them on day-day tasks towards project delivery.
- Allocate resources on a quarterly basis and responds to resource requirements on short notice.
- Works with Project Leads, Group Leads, and Manager to ensure timely delivery of project deliverables.
- Support developing departmental capabilities through the definition and execution of training plans.
- Identify and procure improved design and analysis tools and services (FEA, CFD, etc).
- Act as a representative in cross-functional meetings to maintain coordination between the Mechanical Engineering and other functional organizations (Manufacturing, Test, and Procurement) in handoff of product from engineering to production.
- Interpret, implement and monitor modifications to department methods, processes, and policies that affect multiple work groups.
- Requires a a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering and a minimum of ten (10) years of relevant experience.
- Experience in designing, fabrication, testing and release of mechanical, electro-mechanical modules, and related system interfaces for capital equipment tools.
- Previous experience with Semiconductor industry strongly preferred
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (ASME Y14.5) required.
- Experience in managing project schedules and deliverables required.
- Experience with Product Development tasks required: bills of material, interfacing with vendors, procurement of material for prototyping, change management.
- Experience with a product process for high-volume-manufacturing desired.Excellent English written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with creativity in solving complex design problems.
- Experience/Exposure to solid modeling, FEA, CFD & drawing creation.
- Experience/Exposure to product lifecycle management tools, Siemens TCE required. Ability to translate, statistically analyze data, and effectively report problems through written and/or graphical formats.
- Excellent customer service skills, with an advanced understanding of customer relationship building.
- Ability to use MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic e-mail systems.
- Previous experience with vacuum, flow, thermal systems strongly desired.
- Travel within and outside the US will be required (approximately 20-25%)
- Desire to be part of something amazing as we pioneer technology forward!
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee routinely is required to sit; walk; talk; hear; use hands to keyboard, finger, handle, and feel; stoop, kneel, crouch, twist, reach, and stretch.
- The employee is occasionally required to move around the campus.
- The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- May require travel dependent on business needs.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Can work under deadlines.
- The environment generally is moderate in temperature and noise level. The employee may occasionally work under manufacturing or laboratory environments, where the noise level is usually high.
- Must be able to read and interpret data, information, and documents.
- Can observe and respond to people and situations and interact with others encountered in the course of work.
- Can learn and apply new information or skills.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.