Section Manager - Maritime Systems (MS)
Raytheon, San Diego, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
What does it take to make the world a safer place? It takes delivering innovative technology and collaborating with some of the finest talent in the engineering field. Whether you're a software engineer or a mechanical engineer, at Raytheon you'll grow a varied and rewarding career. And you'll be supported with a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that promotes work/life. If you're ready to take on today's big challenges, discover a world of opportunity at Raytheon.
- America's Best Large Employers by Forbes
- Career & Development Opportunities
- Entry, Mid, Senior level
Back to Job Navigation (Overview)
Manager III Systems Engineering – San Diego, CA
One global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place…
Raytheon offers an innovative and inclusive culture; welcoming diversity and collaboration and providing numerous opportunities for career growth.
The Systems Architecture Design and Integration Directorate (SADID) is the central focus for Mission Systems Integration activities within Raytheon's Integrated Defense Systems (IDS). The more than 1,100 employees of SADID provide requirements definition and design at the system, subsystem and component level every day in a collaborative environment which is characterized by respect for the individual, problem solving in a team setting, consensus oriented solutions, and results based recognition.
Join this highly visible team and perform technically challenging assignments which will directly contribute to protecting our nation and our war fighters.
SADID is seeking engineering professionals for a Section Manager position in the Maritime Systems (MS) department. The department leads all aspects of Systems Engineering that drive the development of complex systems that support the IDS Seapower Capability Systems (SCS) business area and the U.S. Navy's missions.
The Section Manager is responsible for results and effectiveness of section functional management of ~15 engineers. The manager will be responsible for the sustainment, assessment and development of the section, and will ensure engineers adhere to Raytheon policies, vision, values and goals. The Section Manager will be part of the Maritime Systems (MS) department leadership team.
This position is located in San Diego, CA. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Continuous improvement of our people: Deliver performance feedback, conduct career development discussions, develop career growth plans
- Communications flow-down to section and up to department/directorate levels
- Ensure organization adheres to Raytheon policies, vision, values, goals
- Workforce planning: Manage tasking of section employees
- Hiring: Develop job requisitions, review Resumes, conduct interviews, attend hiring events, make hiring decisions, onboard employees
- Support Human Resources incidents and investigations
- Interact with Program Managers, CPT and IPT leads to achieve business objectives
- Preparation of budgets, schedules, etc. as required to support programs
- Technical contributions to programs within the charter of the department
- Support proposal development; generate and review program BOEs
Engineers primarily support programs in the U.S. Navy's undersea and surface domains including mine countermeasures, submarines, torpedoes, combat systems, and ship architecture/integration.
- Minimum of 11 years of experience in Systems Engineering
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in Raytheon with in-depth understanding of the Matrix organization
- Minimum of 4 years of prior leadership experience in a technical capacity
- Experience with Raytheon processes: Earned Value Management System (EVMS), Estimate-At-Complete (EAC), Agile, proposal development, etc.
- Subject matter expertise within an area of Naval system development and/or program/project management
- Experience with system engineering development processes (development of A, B2 and B5 requirements, ConOps, System Architecture documents, SEMP, etc.)
- Experience in line management of complex engineering teams driving performance and managing through change
- Proven experience with IPDS and CMMI 5-compliant Gate Reviews and Tracking Books
- Experience preparing both technical and cost proposals, as well as ability to critically review proposals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to generate and present technical documentation
- Active DoD SECRET Clearance, or Interim SECRET
- Familiarity with Naval systems and product lifecycle, experience supporting US Navy customers
- Prior leadership experience (e.g., IPT lead, CPT lead, Project Manager, etc.)
- Raytheon EVMS certification; Cost Account Manager (CAM) experience
- Experience with BOE creation, White and Blue sheets
- Experience with providing measurable improvements to new products, processes and operational plans
- Experience with driving cost out of the design and development process
- Ability to develop strategic goals for the organization and drive results
- Strong Analytical Skills
- Active DoD TOP SECRET Security Clearance
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Science, Mathematics or related discipline; Masters/Ph.D. Degree is a plus
This position requires the eligibility to obtain a security clearance. Except in rare circumstances, only U.S. citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
What's YOUR Mission?
Here at Raytheon, we work together as one global team creating trusted, innovative solutions to make the world a safer place. Our innovation spans all domains: from land and sea to air, space and cyberspace. We're inspired by a noble mission that's shared by Raytheon employees around the globe and an inclusive culture that empowers employees and celebrates their contributions.
What We Offer: Whether you're just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, Raytheon offers a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits Raytheon offers include paternal leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Find out why Forbes ranks us among the top 500 of America's Best Employers by visiting us online at www.raytheon.com.
Stay Connected: Don't miss out on what's happening at Raytheon.
- Follow @Raytheon on Twitter
- Follow Raytheon on YouTube
- Follow Raytheon on LinkedIn
- Follow Raytheon Company on Instagram
"Diversity is at the heart of all we do at Raytheon. We embrace diversity and diverse opinions; we treat people with dignity and respect to support our inclusive culture. This allows us to retain and attract the world-class talent and supplier base we need to develop the innovative solutions our global customers depend on. We view our diversity as a competitive advantage as a key enabler of our growth."
- Thomas A. Kennedy
Raytheon Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
All these job responsibilities are to be executed in harmony with Raytheon's Code of Business Ethics and Conduct policy which sets the standard by which we operate and how we treat others.
Raytheon is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or Vietnam era, or other eligible veteran status, or any other protected factor.
This position requires either a U.S. Person or a Non-U.S. Person who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
Business Unit Profile
Headquartered in Tewksbury, Massachusetts, IDS has 32 locations around the world. Its broad portfolio of weapons, sensors and integration systems supports its customer base across multiple mission areas, including air and missile defense systems; missile defense radars; early warning radars; naval ship operating systems; C5ITM products and services; and other advanced technologies. IDS provides affordable, integrated solutions to a broad international and domestic customer base, including the U.S. Missile Defense Agency, the U.S. Armed Forces and the Department of Homeland Security.
Type Of Job
CA - San Diego
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.