Managing Director- Government Affairs, Healthcare & Life Sciences
FTI Consulting, Washington, DC
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
About FTI Consulting
FTI Consulting, Inc. is a global business advisory firm dedicated to helping organizations manage change, mitigate risk and resolve disputes: financial, legal, operational, political & regulatory, reputational and transactional. With more than 4,600 employees located in 28 countries, FTI Consulting professionals work closely with clients to anticipate, illuminate and overcome complex business challenges and make the most of opportunities. The Company generated $1.81 billion in revenues during fiscal year 2017. For more information, visit and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting continually strives to offer employees and eligible dependents, including domestic partners and eligible domestic partner children, a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Please click here for more information.
FTI Consulting does not accept unsolicited resumes from external firms or agencies. FTI Consulting will not be responsible for placement fees associated with unsolicited resumes.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.
About Strategic Communications
The Strategic Communications segment of FTI Consulting is one of the world’s most highly regarded communications consultancies with a 30-year track record of designing and executing communications strategies for clients managing financial, regulatory and reputational challenges. The Strategic Communications segment serves as trusted advisors to management teams and Boards of Directors seeking to seize opportunities, manage crises, navigate market disruptions, articulate their brand, stake a competitive position, and preserve their permission to operate. Services of the Strategic Communications segment include financial communications, corporate reputation and public affairs, with specialty offerings that include M&A communications, crisis communications, issues management, litigation communications, corporate governance, shareholder activism, proxy advisory, restructuring communications, employee engagement, change communications, strategy consulting, research, as well as digital and creative communications.
FTI’s Approach to Public and Government Affairs
FTI Consulting combines public policy, capital markets and industry-specific expertise to offer a unique capability for clients operating at the critical intersection between business and government. We are one of the world’s most highly regarded communications consultancies with a 30-year track record of serving as trusted advisors to management teams and Boards of Directors seeking to seize opportunities, manage crises, mitigate political risk, navigate market disruptions, articulate their brand, stake a competitive position, and preserve their permission to operate.
Role & Responsibilities
As a Managing Director in the Government Affairs sector in Washington, DC, you will provide senior-level counsel and assist clients in developing multi-faceted government affairs and communications strategies to shape and inform the political and policy environment. A successful Managing Director will be confident in an entrepreneurial environment, have the ability to secure and build strong client relationships, develop new business opportunities, stay abreast of industry and political developments, as well as help continually innovate the firm’s offerings.
Qualified candidates must possess and demonstrate an excellent command of (1) the political environment including the legislative, regulatory and policy issues that have the potential to impact our clients (2) the Healthcare & Life Sciences industry; and (3) the competitive landscape surrounding corporations in that space. Other qualifications and responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to:
• Provide expert communications and/or political advocacy counsel to clients in line with their respective business priorities
• Manage overall quality and delivery of work on multiple accounts in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
• Oversee client budgets, business strategy, and be accountable for client account profitability
• Generate and lead new business development efforts
• Identify emerging opportunities to add greater value for clients
• Recognize and apply global and regional social, economic, political and other impactful policy trends, and translate those insights into actionable ideas
• Possess, develop and maintain relationships with Members of Congress, congressional staff, administration officials, applicable trade associations, journalists/media outlets, think tanks and relevant industry leaders to enhance and grow business
• Effectively lead account teams on complex client communications challenges
• Actively manage, develop, inspire, and motivate staff to excel
• Anticipate potential challenges and evaluate strategies with senior management
What Are We Looking For?
• BA or BS from accredited college or university
• Congressional, Executive Branch and/or trade association experience
• 10+ years of relevant experience developing and executing healthcare & life sciences public and government affairs communications strategies
• Media affairs experience and expertise; current relationships with industry-focused journalists
• In-house corporate communications and/or communications firm experience a plus
• Superior strategic thinking, writing, and presentation skills required
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.