Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field can’t be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. You’ll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers’ lives. We’ll help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, you’ll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And you’ll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
The Vice President of Cloud Engineering and Automation will serve as a senior leader within the Allstate Infrastructure, Engineering, and Innovation teams. This role is an experienced technologist and strategic partner to the senior leaders of Allstate’s Technology and Strategic Ventures organization. The Vice President of Cloud Engineering and Automation will develop a strategic vision, strategy and roadmap that can drive the migration of a wide variety of technology assets to multiple Cloud providers.
This VP role is responsible for articulating foundational principles and patterns that will enable the broader Allstate technology organization to consume cloud technologies in a secure and scalable manner. This role will balance competing priorities, as well as be able to navigate and influence the broader technology organization. The leader should understand the impact of organizational models and technology selection on the speed, cost and usability of cloud solutions. This leader recognizes and removes barriers, creates a desire to succeed, and accurately assesses the strengths and development needs of team members.
The Vice President of Cloud Engineering and Automation is responsible for defining program level KPI’s to drive the overall cloud strategy. This leader will be responsible for designing and running an organization that can balance the needs of cloud architecture, cloud governance, cloud education, and cloud engineering.
- Create strategies to guide the consumption of Cloud (Platform as a Service, Container as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, and Software as a service) in accordance with security architectures and frameworks.
- Inspire trust and confidence in partners through strategic and diplomatic handling of relationships with senior business and IT leaders with the goal of building, planning, assessing, and prioritizing cloud related initiatives.
- Understand industry best practices and challenge the status quo to support continuous improvement.
- Partner with business areas and ATSV Finance to support the annual financial planning process and provide ongoing financial monitoring and forecasting to enable portfolio investment decisions.
- Create governance frameworks for the secure consumption of cloud resources in accordance with security standards and regulatory obligations. Collaborate with strategic partners to develop and implement prioritization criteria in support of the most valuable portfolio work.
Key Responsibilities Cont'd
- Establish an innovation lab to identify and evaluate disruptive threats and opportunities and drive technology investments based on trend analysis, market disruptions and strategic alignment to Allstate
- Establish risk management practices and participate as a liaison between technology, security and audit for cloud-related activities.
- Establish strategies for operationalizing cloud deployed assets, creating patterns for monitoring, asset management, and incident response.
- Evangelize and guide ATSV in the establishment of a DevOps mindset and supporting organizational model.
- Develop a culture of risk taking and innovation driven organization that continuously embraces and adapts to change.
- Influences direct reports, clients, service providers and peers to successfully deliver on business commitments.
- Direct experience in the transformation and leadership of cloud strategies and their execution in federated organization a must.
- Experience in operationalizing cloud strategies with governance, architectural, security, workload placement and prioritization as core developed capabilities.
- Comfort with ambiguity and able to independently drive resolution of issues and challenges.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and facilitation skills for communicating at all levels (employees and leaders); including strong presentation skills.
- Previous execution and delivery experience, aligned with the ability and experience of defining technology strategy to best enable and drive the business.
- Experience of driving large scale, enterprise wide transformation, including the culture and mindset of a group to embrace new and improved ways of using technology.
- Demonstrated competency PaaS, IaaS, CaaS and SaaS.
- Strong understanding of release management best practices such as CI, immutable infrastructure, canary deployments, and blue/green deployments.
- Demonstrated competency in security frameworks such as NIST and OWASP.
- Demonstrated understanding of defense in depth and layered security controls.
Job Qualifications Cont'd
- Proven track record of delivering security capabilities for enterprise cloud migrations.
- Proven track record of delivering solutions for federated Identity and Access Management across public cloud providers.
- Experience with implementation of Network Security Controls (e.g., firewalls, IDS, IPS, honeypots, vulnerability assessments).
- Demonstrated presence to effectively represent IT and the corporation externally and to key vendors. Interaction with technology officers and internal customers will be an important component.
- Past or current certifications (e.g. Microsoft, AWS, Cisco, and VMware) is preferred
- A Bachelor’s degree in STEM or related field or equivalent experience
- Strong executive presence with proven ability to influence peers and senior leadership without direct reporting relationships
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to develop diverse talent and assemble a highly effective team, inspiring those in the organization to do the best work possible and move the organization forward
- Well-developed relationship management capabilities. Ability to build strong internal and external networks
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands®.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary – but that’s just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, you’ll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the Company’s policy to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs. Therefore, any discriminatory action taken on account of an employee’s ancestry, age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual and reproductive health decision, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, race, religion (including religious dress), sex, or sexual orientation that adversely affects an employee's terms or conditions of employment is prohibited. This policy applies to all aspects of the employment relationship, including, but not limited to, hiring, training, salary administration, promotion, job assignment, benefits, discipline, and separation of employment