Director, Regional Medical
Petco, San Diego, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We're making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you'll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
The purpose of this Regional Medical Director position is to provide leadership and management to current and future hospitals within Petco owned full-service hospitals, its medical leaders and veterinarians within assigned region. The Regional Medical Director is responsible for representing the mission and values while creating a positive culture, hiring and development of staff, driving hospital growth and delivering performance objectives. Additionally, through the guidance of Petco Medical SOPs, they will ensure our hospitals practice a high standard of quality medicine and provide excellent patient care and client service.
Essential Job Functions:
Listed are the essential duties and responsibilities that are required of this position. This section includes the primary accountabilities or duties of the job. The incumbent must be able to perform all the following duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Manage and provide leadership to hospital medical leaders and associate veterinarians, as well as any relief doctors who provide doctor services
- Ensure all owned hospitals uphold all Petco standards, mission and values, and with direction from the Petco Veterinary Hospital SOPs, set the medical standard of the practices
- Review electronic medical records of direct reports regarding patient decisions and provide feedback and direction to veterinarians as a means to elevate patient care in our hospital
- Ensure hospitals are maintaining a positive work environment that fosters efficiency, profitability, and partner retention
- Act as the primary medical point of contact for all regional hospitals within the owned brand full-service hospitals and ensure compliance with hospital policies and procedures and with local, state, and federal laws
- In partnership with the Petco Talent Acquisition team, assist in the recruitment, interview, hiring, and onboarding process
- Support creation and maintenance of doctor's schedule with each hospitals Lead Veterinary Technician as needed
- In partnership with the Area Operation Manager, manage the performance of the hospitals while meeting budget expectations
- Practice high quality medicine on an as-needed/relief basis and maintain CE requirements
- Travel between regional hospital locations with up to 30% of overnight travel
The Regional Medical Director directly supervises all medical leadership and veterinarians within assigned regional hospitals.
Position requires bending, kneeling, lifting (up to 30 pounds, as necessary) and standing for long periods of time. A portion of this partner's time will be spent in direct contact with clients and their pets.
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree from an AVMA-accredited veterinary school or its equivalent
- Active licensure as a veterinarian without contingencies in the states in which the assigned hospitals are located or ability to obtain by start date
- Current DEA license
- Current Controlled Substance License, if applicable, in states in which the assigned hospitals are located or ability to obtain by start date
- USDA Category I Accreditation or completion within two months of hire date
- Valid Driver license and clean driving record required
- At least 4 years of clinical practice experience
- Strong knowledge of medical operations including but not limited to: assurance of medical quality, setting protocols to ensure compliance with Petco SOPs and the state veterinary practice act, driving regular team educational enhancement opportunities, advising and leading medical case discussions as necessary, and knowledge of equipment and formulary medical use and needs
- General understanding of business financials
- Candidate must possess excellent interpersonal, leadership and conflict resolutions skills
- Ability to travel frequently between regional hospital locations with up to 30% of overnight travel
- Previous medical leadership experience preferably in a multi-unit setting
Petco Animal Supplies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or any other protected classification.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.