Associate Director/Director, Alliance Management
BeiGene, San Mateo, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
BeiGene, Ltd. (NASDAQ: BGNE; HKEX: 06160) is a global, commercial-stage, research-based biotechnology company focused on molecularly-targeted and immuno-oncology cancer therapeutics. With a team of over 2,200 employees in China, the United States (Cambridge, MA; Ridgefield Park, NJ; Emeryville, CA & San Mateo, CA), Switzerland and Australia, BeiGene is advancing a pipeline consisting of novel oral small molecules and monoclonal antibodies for the treatment of cancer. BeiGene is working to create combination solutions aimed at having both a meaningful and lasting impact on cancer patients. For more information, please visit www.beigene.com.
The Director/Associate Director, Alliance Management is responsible for managing and optimizing the value of BeiGene's alliances at all stages of the product life cycle, from pre-clinical development to commercialization. Alliances include joint ventures and in- and out-licensing of products upon close of the partnership agreements. The position can be based in Emeryville, CA, San Mateo, CA, or Cambridge, MA. The Director/Associate Director, Alliance Management will be responsible for ensuring that all terms of the partnership agreement are adhered to by both parties and that BeiGene is ultimately perceived as a "partner of choice" while upholding the best interests of BeiGene.
Essential Functions of the job:
- Key person responsible for overseeing the execution of the partnership agreement, including participation in governance committees and working groups
- Serve as the central point of contact for internal coordination and external interface with the partner company.
- Identifies key issues, sets meeting agendas, schedules and ensures the BeiGene team is prepared with their deliverables for partner interactions
- Work with partner company to set the direction and scope for implementation of the partnership agreement including key activities, timelines and responsibilities on either side
- Regularly communicate with partner alliance management counterpart and other key partner stakeholders as needed, including ad hoc communications/events that require cross-functional communication
- Crisis management: identify and address critical issues that require immediate attention while working diligently to minimize crisis management situations and escalation to executives
- Regularly collect/develop and control quality of forecasts as appropriate to support financial planning activities
- Perform regular alliance audits and "health checks"
Intra-company coordination and collaboration:
- Compliance/contract management: liaise with Business Development, Legal, Finance, Clinical Development, Commercial and other functions to ensure that key contract milestones, financial transactions and progress reports are handled appropriately
- Represent Alliance Management within internal working teams and governance reviews
- Conduct regular reviews/meetings with senior management and other functions as appropriate to communicate key issues, milestones, etc. and gather feedback
- Participate in review of new partner contract negotiations as appropriate and provide input into partnership execution terms of the contract, such as governance structures and processes
- Lead and/or participate in partner contract renegotiations as appropriate
- Build expertise about partner company, including company organization/leadership, strategies, financials and priorities; become BeiGene "internal expert" on partner company
- Participate in Alliance Management group meetings to review progress and issues and share best practices
Supervisory Responsibilities: None initially
Education Required: Minimum of a BA/BS is required, while an advanced degree (PharmD, PhD, MS, MBA, MD) is desirable in a discipline related to drug development or business.
Ethics - Treats people with respect; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically in accordance with BeiGene's Code of Business Conduct and Ethics, policies and procedures.
Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Follows instructions and responds to management direction.
Communication - Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Writes clearly and informatively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Shares expertise with others.
Adaptability – Able to adapt to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and development areas; Pursues training and opportunities for growth; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
Dependability - Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and within budget.
- Ability to develop, manage and lead effective teams without direct line of authority
- Ability to relate and work with wide range of colleagues across varied functions, experience levels and backgrounds (internal and external) to achieve results
- Exemplary communication skills with an ability to efficiently and cohesively communicate both orally and in writing
- Advanced negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Sharp business acumen with ability to conceptualize the big picture while focusing on the details
- Ability to prioritize and draw upon subject matter experts to achieve results
- Innate problem solving mentality
- Ability to deal with ambiguity
- Proficient technical skills in project management and knowledge of entire drug development process
- Proficient time management and organization skills
- Self-motivated, flexible and resilient
- Commitment to professional development of oneself, team members and department
- 7-10+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical, life sciences or related industry, preferably in pipeline development, business development, commercial launch preparation or project leader role
- 5+ years of experience in Alliance Management, Program Management, Business Development or related function
- Oncology experience across cancer types
- Strong experience in drug development, including IND experience and/or NDA/BLA experience
- Demonstrated ability to identify, prioritize and resolve key project and partnership issues
- Demonstrated attention to detail, excellence in project management and effectiveness in managing multiple projects/priorities
- Demonstrated ability to work with and coordinate demands from multiple stakeholders, both internally and with partners.
- Participation and/or leadership in development and life cycle management project teams
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint; MS Project a plus
BeiGene Is An Equal Opportunity Employer
BeiGene is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law. As a federal contractor, BeiGene has established affirmative action programs to ensure non-discrimination and affirmative action in BeiGene's policies and practices for qualified women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. The narrative portions of BeiGene's affirmative action plans for individuals with disabilities and veterans are available for inspection at our offices during normal business hours. Employees and applicants interested in inspecting these plans should contact our Human Resources department by email at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.