Director, Internal Audit
Illumina Inc, San Diego, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
The Director, Internal Audit is a key member of Illumina’s Internal Audit team and has overall responsibility for performing operational, financial and compliance audits. Reporting to the Sr. Director, Head of Internal Audit, the Director, Internal Audit, leads the overall planning and conducting of audits over internal controls and other related projects covering a broad range of the Company's operations to determine if functional areas are conducting operations in accordance with established guidelines, policies, procedures, and governmental and legal requirements. This is a player-manager role which includes conducting audits as well as managing and developing a team of Internal Auditors in the auditing of functional and operating units, focusing on the review of financial, IT and operational processes to assess efficiency and effectiveness and drive improvements in the internal control structure.
The ideal candidate will have in-depth experience, knowledge, and skills in operational auditing and the capacity to lead a team to maximum performance using a collaborative approach. The success of this role will be based on solid technical knowledge, excellent written and oral communication, and the ability to build strong relationships with cross-functional partners and various levels of management, to ensure objectives are effectively and efficiently achieved.
All About You
You are a team player who is passionate about what you do. You pay attention to details, stay organized, adapt to new situations, and can work in a very fast-paced environment.
Job duties include, but not limited to:
- Playing a leadership role in the annual global risk assessment process to help ensure that key business risks are properly identified and mitigated by management and a risk-based annual audit plan is defined
- Key contributor in conducting internal audits of varying complexity and scope on all operations of the organization including financial, operational, compliance, and strategy-focused audit engagements
- End to end planning of internal audit engagements including deriving the appropriate level of objectives and scope for each audit, estimating budget, and scheduling and assigning team members for the successful delivery of the annual audit plan
- Leading a team of auditors in the execution of internal audit procedures, including engagement level risk assessments and audit scoping, and performance of fieldwork of complex/highly technical areas in conformance with professional and department standards, budgets, and timelines
- Providing oversight and work paper review to ensure that audit procedures are properly executed/documented, review work papers for appropriate documentation, and ensure audit observations are effectively communicated
- Drafting written audit reports and sharing audit findings and recommendations with management and soliciting appropriate remediation plans
- Presenting, through both formal and informal means, audit objectives, scope, and results to very senior members of management, clearly articulating the potential impact of control gaps.
- Partnering with others on the team to monitor, through regular follow-up, the progress of management action plans resulting from past audits
- Maintaining continuing education requirements and introducing continuous improvement to the Internal Audit function by applying technical and professional knowledge gained
- The role will also require a knowledge of SOX procedures and testing including performing SOX walkthrough and process documentation, key control identification, test plan preparation, process control testing.
- Actively mentoring colleagues and providing training on professional standards, best practices, tools and strategies to grow and maintain a high performing team
- Assisting with, or leading, Compliance investigations in partnership with the Compliance function
- Fostering an environment of excellence and teamwork where employees work collaboratively towards the achievement of personal, departmental and business goals and initiatives
- Assisting with departmental initiatives/projects as needed
- Audit professional with at least 12 years of solid experience conducting operational and financial audits, and risk assessments at a large, multi-national public company is essential
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity necessary
- Excellent project management skills with an ability to multi-task and manage competing priorities to meet deadlines
- Proven ability to manage, develop and retain a team of audit professionals
- Strong command of the English language and outstanding communication skills, both written and oral
- A high degree of attention to detail
- Ability to collaborate, influence and drive for results at all levels of the organization
- Capacity to effectively and confidently discuss audit findings and/or control gaps with management and develop business-focused recommendations to strengthen controls essential
- Ability to build effective cross-functional relationships at all levels to stay aligned with changes within the company and to respond to new opportunities
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Ability to work productively in a team environment as well as independently
- Flexibility and ability to adapt to a fast-paced culture, changes in the environment and shifts in priorities
- Prior experience that includes compliance with, and knowledge of, IIA Professional Practices Framework Standards, SOX testing methodologies, COSO framework, and PCAOB standards
- Experience in the use of data analytics required
- Experience with SAP or other large ERP systems preferred
- Experience working in technology or pharmaceutical industry preferred
- 10-20% travel required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Business, Finance or Accounting required
- CPA and/or CIA designation required
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.