Lead Engineer, Protection & Controls
Eversource Energy, Naugatuck, CT
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
This position is responsible for supervising, assigning, prioritizing and directing the work activities of a team of Protection & Controls Engineering personnel to perform activities related to the engineering and design of protective relays and associated systems for the transmission and distribution system.In addition, this position assists in the evaluation of protection system operations and system failures, along with appropriate resolutions, in order to provide support to operations on unplanned maintenance.This position shares accountability with peers in the planning, development, and design of the organization's asset management plan for protection system assets.Responsible for supervising, assigning, prioritizing and directing the work performed by other Engineers.
* Supervises the work activities of personnel assigned to the Protection & Controls Engineering section. Ensures projects undertaken are in accordance with Eversource P&C Engineering goals and objectives.
* Responsible for ensuring assigned personnel follow company standards and procedures in the development of Protection and Controls designs and relay settings.
* Develops employees through the use of performance management, coaching, and, as appropriate, rotational assignments.
* Responsible for the development of preliminary engineering designs and design standards, as necessary.
* Responsible for the evaluation and selection of technology and equipment for the system.
* Develops infrastructure strategy, operating philosophy and technical basis for asset renewal decisions.
* Manage work activities associated with the System Planning group to provide design guidance and protections system performance details necessary for planning studies.
* Manage work activities associated with the Interconnections group and Distributed Generation Group to provide design review and guidance for new transmission and distribution interconnection requests.
* Coordinates and prioritizes Life Cycle Plan work within each service area and across Electric Operations and participates in the work scheduling process.
* Collaborates with other groups within Eversource Engineering to ensure consistency and teamwork.
* Provides technical support and direction to operating areas relative to system priorities, engineering guidelines and operating decisions during normal and emergency situations.
* Accountable for root-cause analysis, development and implementation of corrective actions.
* Works closely with Asset Management on project justification and financial rationing.
* Support the development of standards and procedures for operation and maintenance of the transmission and distribution system.
* Manage work activities associated with development, review and periodic update of control center operating procedures
* Assumes the role of Project Manager, as required.
Requires a Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering. Emphasis in Power Systems is desired.
Minimum of eight (8) years of experience in the technical, operational, or engineering aspects of the electric utility industry with a strong background in protection engineering. Supervisory experience preferred.
Work is performed primarily in an office environment which requires sitting, standing, walking and climbing stairs are involved. Job can require traveling to substations, operating districts, and companies within and outside the state.
Work includes calculating, comparing, technical writing, editing, planning, evaluating, interpreting, organizing, consulting, analyzing, designing, documenting, specifying, coordinating, implementing and presenting.This role works in an environment that often requires the performance of multiple simultaneous activities, where deadlines need to be met and work is performed under pressure while involving significant business commitments and results.
Number of Openings:
Eversource Energy is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, disability status, or protected veteran status.
VEVRRA Federal Contractor
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.