Finance Senior Manager, CTO Group - (M5)
Applied Materials, Santa Clara, CA
- Unlock Salary Benchmark*
Applied Materials, Inc. (Nasdaq: AMAT) is the global leader in materials engineering solutions used to produce virtually every new chip and advanced display in the world. Our expertise in modifying materials at atomic levels and on an industrial scale enables customers to transform possibilities into reality. At Applied Materials, our innovations make possible the technology shaping the future.
CTO Business Summary
The Chief Technology Office (CTO) is the primary group developing and partnering to develop new products and disruptive technologies in new markets within Applied Materials. This "start-up" environment within a large corporation primarily starts in the ideation phase with only a small portion making it to incubation with hopes of eventually commercializing. Additionally, some ideas start within CTO in our Applied Ventures group who invest in start-up companies with the potential to acquire or develop a strategic partnership. Each one of the projects in the CTO group is like a small start-up company which needs a "CFO" to help manage forecasting, develop business cases, challenge assumptions, and bring an overall general manager view.
The Global CTO Finance Senior Manager reports to the Global Finance Controller of Corporate Functions and manages a team of 2 individuals, one of which is a matrix report. The Finance Senior Manager will be the dedicated business partner ("program expert") for the CTO organization facilitating an accurate forecasting process, developing business cases, challenging assumptions, offering guidance, and bringing an overall general manager/finance perspective to discussions. The Finance Senior Manager leads and partners with the matrix report within our Finance Center of Excellence (COE) to review, monitor and report spending for financial forecasts. In addition to partnering with the CTO group, the Finance Senior Manager will be responsible for supporting the Deal Cost group, forecasting and tracking spend for Deal Cost (M&A) related activity.
- Partner with all project teams providing finance expertise/guidance
- Prepare for and attend CTO leadership & executive staff meetings
- Coordinate ROI models for each project challenging inputs and assumptions to drive validity
- Support/attend recurring executive financial reviews, including leading portfolio prioritization discussions
- Provide strategic direction and objectives along with helping develop the scorecard for the team
- Lead budgeting and forecasting processes and partners with COE to review, monitor and report spending for financial forecasts
- Partner with project teams to provide business context to financial reports
- Liaison between the business partner and finance
- Focus on identifying and helping to drive cost efficiency, growth opportunities, and process improvements along with cost reallocation initiatives
- Review historical performance and help identify areas of future focus
- Reinforce compliance and controls in all responsibilities,
- Review and approve funding/resource requests
- Provide centralized insight between the various business partners to facilitate communication and reduce duplication of funding and efforts
- Ad hoc reporting, analysis, and special projects as requested by business partners and/or finance management
- MBA strongly preferred
- Proven competencies in communications, presentations, financial analysis and related decision-making, problem solving, etc.
- Experience with financial modeling including NPV and ROI analyses
- Early stage R&D / start-up experience a plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills, teaming skills, and customer relationship skills
- Passionate, energetic leader who thrives in ambiguity and being proactive
- Deep knowledge of financial analysis, with a preference for knowledge relative to the business segment supported
- Strong Accounting/Finance skills and curiosity and excitement in the high-tech business environment
- Demonstrated PC skills, knowledge of software packages, and financial modeling expertise using Excel
- Solid influencing skills
- Strong desire to learn and grow your career with the organization
- Ticker: Nasdaq: AMAT
- Market Cap: $32.88 billion
- Fiscal 2018 Revenue: $17.25 billion
- Fiscal 2018 R&D: $2 billion
- Founded: November 10, 1967
- Headquarters: Santa Clara, California
- Global Presence: 90 locations in 17 countries
- Manufacturing: China, Germany, Israel, Italy, Singapore, Switzerland, Taiwan, United States
- Employees: ~18,400 worldwide
- Patents: ~11,900 issued
Position requires the understanding of Applied Materials Global Standards of Business Conduct and compliance with these standards at all times. This includes demonstrating the highest level of ethical conduct reflecting Applied Materials' core values.
Years of Experience:
7 - 10 Years
Yes, 10% of the Time
Applied Materials is committed to diversity in its workforce including Equal Employment Opportunity for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.
The Experteer Benchmark is an Experteer service that shows you the estimated market value of a specific position. It is not given by the recruiters, and it is an estimate based solely on market data.
Experteer's estimation is based on both the analysis of internal data, as well as external information. The Experteer Benchmark is the average market value at the respective level. This value may be up to 15% higher or lower in each company (greater variation may be possible in individual cases).
The Recruiter Benchmark serves as a reference. The actual salary to be obtained depends on factors such as professional experience and expertise.